Skip to content
Home » Tesla Model Y Shocks the Auto World as Pure EV Sales Surge in the US

Tesla Model Y Shocks the Auto World as Pure EV Sales Surge in the US

Tesla Relaunches Free Supercharger Transfers

The U.S. is charging ahead full throttle in the EV race. According to new numbers from Counterpoint Research, electric car sales in the States saw a whopping 79% surge in the first quarter of 2023 compared to last year. Thanks to this turbo-charged growth, the U.S. just zoomed into second place as the world’s hottest EV market, kicking Germany to the curb and chasing only China.

Pure electric vehicles made up the lion’s share of sales at 81%, with plug-in hybrids claiming the remaining 19%. As for brands, Tesla was king of the road with nearly two-thirds of all pure EV sales. The Model Y, in particular, flew off lots to become America’s #2 best-selling vehicle overall, just behind Ford’s F-150 pickup! GM and VW also scored spots on the podium with decent shares of 7.6% and 6.3% respectively.

Tesla’s Latest Model Y Vehicles Come Equipped with HW4 Self-Driving Hardware

In the plug-in hybrid race, Stellantis dominated with 43.9% while BMW and Toyota battled it out for second and third place. The top-selling pure EVs were Tesla’s dynamic duo Model Y and Model 3, followed by Chevy’s Bolt EUV and VW’s ID.4. As for plug-in hybrids, Jeep’s new 4xe variants of the Wrangler and Grand Cherokee led the charge, with Toyota’s RAV4 Prime and BMW’s X5 plug-in hybrid hot on their tailpipes.

So why the sudden need for speed in the U.S. EV market? For starters, buyers have more choices than ever before from nearly every brand. Government incentives and an anti-gas attitude among the younger generation also fuel the fire. whatever the reasons, one thing’s for sure: the American EV revolution is in high gear with its foot to the floor. The road ahead looks thrilling! How fast and far will it go? Stay tuned!

Top 5 pure EV sales:

  • Tesla Model Y
  • Tesla Model 3
  • Chevrolet Bolt EUV
  • Volkswagen ID.4
  • Chevrolet Bolt
  • Top 5 plug-in hybrid vehicle sales:

  • Jeep Wrangler 4xe
  • Jeep Grand Cherokee 4xe
  • Toyota RAV4
  • BMW X5
  • Chrysler Pacifica
  • Related Posts:
    Charging Standards NACS vs CCS: How Tesla NACS is Changing the Game

    First Look: Tesla Model 3 Facelift Revealed in Leaked, Code-Named ‘Highland’

    Share on: